Monday, December 29, 2014
I've had a certifiably insane year. So much so that it's time for a list:
Crazy Things That Have Happened to Me:
1) I sold a book.
2) I got a really cool editor (because I have a really cool agent who knew how to sell it).
3) I took awesome trips to New York, Michigan, and Iowa.
4) I finished LIFE IN BOOLEAN VARIABLES and started two other books of drastically different themes and tones. Maybe they'll have a race to see which finishes first?
5) I taught fourth grade for my second year after previously teaching fifth. I'm starting to feel the ground beneath my feet. I'm sure it will disappear again soon.
6) I ate a whole lot of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I'm serious. We're talking epic amounts. My wife is thoroughly grossed out.
7) I got ARCs of I AM DRUMS in the mail. Read about how that went here.
8) People are actually reading the ARCs and that is flat out insane to think about.
9) I worked really hard at being a good father. I failed most of the time, but remain proud of the times I succeeded.
10) I had the privilege of... wait, I kind of forgot what this one was going to be.
Anyway, that's my looking back post for 2014. It's not very organized. There are others out there that are much better, but it's honest and it's wonderful to me.
2015 is going to be insane. I'm thoroughly excited and worried, but I'll save that for another post when I have my wits about me.
Sunday, December 21, 2014
One of the fun things you get to do when you sell your debut novel is deliver the news to friends and family. It's big news to share, so reactions are understandably extreme. Most often this is a positive thing, but you do end up getting a few reactions that swing the other direction, and they can be pretty entertaining.
Below are some of those reactions, posted for entertainment purposes only. They haven't all happened to me, but I know they do all happen, and are best met with good humor.
1) The Supportive Opportunist:
"You're publishing a book! That's amazing! I can't wait for you to give me seven-hundred free copies!"
"What do you mean it's not out for another year and a half?! How can it take that long?!"
"Oh, you wrote THAT kind of book? I was hoping you'd written something legitimate."
"WHEW! That's great to hear. I was always worried you'd end up in jail."
"Are you sure your publisher's legit? Lots of folks are just out to rip you off."
"So you got a book deal. Anyone can publish a book nowadays."
7) Me, Too:
"I've always felt I have one good book in me. Maybe I should finally write it. I mean, if you can do it..."
"I guess you'll be quitting your day job now, what with that HUGE advance!"
9) Full of Bad Suggestions:
"Your next book should be about a talking animal that's dead the entire time and wakes up at the end to find out it was all just a dream!"
Thursday, December 11, 2014
It's the cover for I AM DRUMS, and the wonderful people at Kid Literati are hosting by cover reveal this morning, along with a chance to win a signed ARC!
Check out the cover and enter the giveaway:
A huge thanks to Kid Literati!